[c-nsp] how "fast" is L2TP "fast switching" under 12.3T?

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Tue Oct 26 23:43:05 EDT 2004

Your problem is fragmentation, since the L2TP tunnel is delivered over
Ethernet, the max MTU is 1500. Every customer frame that is over 1452
causes fragmentation since 1452 + 8(PPPoE) + 12(L2TP) + 8(UDP) + 20(IP) = 1500.
You can add "ip tcp adjust-mss 1412" to eliminate fragmentation of TCP
packets, but you won't be able to do anything about UDP and IPSec packets.

You friend has ATM, he has a bigger MTU, so no fragmentation.

I have an identical setup to you, I graph CPU usage and reassembly, the
graphs match perfectly.