[c-nsp] ATM CRC errors

F. David Sinn dsinn at dsinn.com
Wed Oct 27 19:24:28 EDT 2004

The CRC's can be related to lost cell's, since if a component cell (or
cells) of a AAL5 encapsulated frame are lost, the resultant frame will
no longer pass CRC checks when the re-assembly is attempted.

Qwest is correct in saying that discarded cells are most likely the
cause, and unless they can tell you which VC they are discarding you
on, you may be out of luck to find out which path is the troublemaker.
If memory serves, a "sho atm vc" might tell you which VC is having the
encapsulation error, but it's been years since I had to work on ATM on
a day-to-day basis, so that may not be the case.

If you have contracted services that Qwest is policing, you may want to
double check the shaping on your ends to insure the two match up so as
to remove the CRC's.

If there is no policing and this is just a best effort service, then
CRC's are a fact of life.

David