[c-nsp] What MTU for Bellsouth BBG / BRAS <-> LNS l2TP tunnel?

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Fri Oct 29 13:41:28 EDT 2004

On Oct 29, 2004, at 11:53 AM, Krzysztof Adamski wrote:

> The answer to this question is "it depends", if the device that the
> user
> is using supports the full PPP standard then it will work, but many
> (mostly Linksys) do not.

I have a device that "took" the MTU I set via PPP.  I can go to an
offset shell account
ping with DF set, and it returns "Fragmentation needed MTU = 1300" (the
mtu i set).

But sites like Amazon still do not work!  I am thinking amazon is
blocking the ICMP
replies from the "cant fragment" messages.  If they are then this is
insane.  Why set
DF in the first place if your not going to listen to what gets sent
back?

Does anyone else know for sure if Amazon/Ebay actually listen to PMTUd
messages?

Brian

------
Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036, CISSP    	e: signal at shreve.net
Network Engineer           			p: 318.213.4709
ShreveNet Inc.             			f: 318.221.6612