[c-nsp] What is The Best Configuration per Interface (CatalystSwitch 3500)?

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Sun Oct 31 16:48:32 EST 2004

On 31/10/2004, at 2:59 AM, Ian Henderson wrote:

> Kudos to the Web Central guys for pointing us to this. :) Who would
> have
> thought the $1500AUD~ 2950 would be so useful.

Thanks Ian :)

To put some quantitative number on that, our tests showed
that you could pull 70,000 pps out of a layer 2 packet
stream using a layer 3 acl and the CPU utilisation increases
from 12% to 14% on a 2950G.  Very, very handy.

We are using 3550 class switches now as the layer 3 features
of the 2950G are a little restrictive (albeit usable for
lots of situations).

As for another respondents comment about turning off portfast,
keeping portfast on in conjunction with BPDU guard is exactly
what the poster wants for access port - fast bring-up with no
STP interaction.

David