[c-nsp] Strange Problem

christopher_a_kane at bankone.com christopher_a_kane at bankone.com
Wed Sep 1 10:29:34 EDT 2004

I'll take a stab: Some sort or arp or cacheing problem. Next time, rather
than rebooting, clear the arp cache/cam table.

-chris

Christopher A Kane

"Alexandra Alvarado" <aaaa at telconet.net>
Sent by: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
09/01/2004 10:11 AM

        To:     <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>, "Alexandra Alvarado"
<aaaa at telconet.net>
        cc:
        Subject:        [c-nsp] Strange Problem

Hello,

Until now this problem with no explanation has been ocurred 6 times:

Network Diagram
---------------

Cisco 7513  --- (eth0) Main Linux (eth1) --- Clients

The network has Switches Cisco 3550 in the Backbone, suddenly in any hour
one of my clients (I'm going to call it Client A) loss comunication to the
cisco router 7513, all others clients are ok, but the client A remains
down. I can see the next:

1.- From devices that belongs to de same network no problem
2.- I saw the correct mac address learned in the port switch where
directly is connected the Client A
3.- I saw the correct Client A mac address learned in the eth1 Main linux

It's like the linux loss the routing capacity of only one ip address from
de network (it's strange)

Until now the problem solves when I reboot the switch 3550 near of the
client with the problem, but today I reboot linux and the problems solves
too

My question is:  What is the real problem?, and how could I resolve it?.

Thanks for your help!

Alexandra Alvarado