[c-nsp] BGP on Catalyst 5505???

Konstantin Barinov sbr at infonet.ee
Wed Sep 1 12:16:24 EDT 2004

Hi,

Here's one 5505 + RSFC (pretty similar to RSM) that now routes ~700M,
CPU load on RSFC is about 20%. There are about 100 vlan interfaces
and only handful of them have access-lists enabled. There's also eigrp
running. Some time ago it did bgp also (of course, not full table). :)

Traffic from/to vlan interface with access-list enabled (and another fancy
features) will be switched by CPU instead of MLS. This degrades performance
very much. I guess 5505 + RSFC without access-lists will be able to route
at "wire speed" of it's limited buses.

In general, 5505 is very old but very stable box. I like it.

br
--
Konstantin Barinov
INFONET AS, Tallinn, Estonia