[c-nsp] Cisco <> QB IOT Performance Concern

Mark Lasarko mlasarko at co.ba.md.us
Fri Sep 3 17:16:05 EDT 2004

Greetings All,

I have an issue that our service provider has been unable to resolve.
We have tried multiple FastE interfaces (2621, 3550, 2900xl)
connected to a QuantumBridge 100W IOT; all of which seem to
produce an unusually high number of errors on the interface of the
IOT.
The errors have been relayed to me as "internal MAC receive" and
"In frame too long". My guess is this means we are over-running the
interface buffer on the IOT somehow?

I am not seeing see many, if any, errors on the Cisco side of the
link,
but the provider-supplied IOT seems to have a difficult time
regardless. During random calls to my SP's helpdesk I can confirm
hundreds, if not thousands of errors per day on most days. Though
I have no administrative control over this device I have spent
numerous hours (& change controls, to the pleasure of management)
debugging things, changing settings, etc... As I noted above we have
tried multiple devices, in every combination of speed/duplex,
without resolution. I have even rate-limited traffic below the CIR
(10M) and still we see these errors. The SP has even gone so far
as to replace the IOT, which obviously did not help as I am writing
this post. I have done some research and have uncovered a few
"concerns" in regards to the code revision and backend, but I thought
I would submit this post prior to starting a fire in hopes that
someone
out there has seen this before and can offer guidance.

For whatever it's worth the other side is an OMNI,
it's perfectly clean. It's just the IOT interface that's trivial.

~M