[c-nsp] Per packet Load balancing

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Sep 6 23:14:37 EDT 2004

It's better to draw a picture for scenarios like this.

I think I get what you have done.

Internet -- R1 ---- PVCa ----\
            |                 \--CE -- /28
            R2 ---- PVCb -------/

So to loadbalance from the CE to the internet you
put two default routes on the CE pointing at PVCa and PVCb.

Then to get to the /28 from the internet you put a /28
route on R1 to PVCa and a second pointing at R2 so R1 has
equal cost routes (at least from R1's perspective) to get
to the CE. You put the same /28 route on R2 towards PVCb I
assume.

Given that, it still will not guarantee you have equal
load balancing over those links because all it takes is
one large pair of ip addresses to use all the bandwidth.
My post a few days ago went over this in detail.
One flow (src/dst) ip pair could eat up all the bandwidth
on one of the PVC's.

Now if your spread of traffic is pretty good between the
/28 and the Internet you should see *some* load sharing
but it will not be 50/50 most likely.

Your best bet is to run netflow and see who are the top
talkers and to verify the path they are taking on R1
do "sh ip cef exact-route <src> <dst>".

This is an example where you may have to do per-packet
if you are required to get more granular on the traffic
split.

Rodney