[c-nsp] Cisco 2924XL Switch - Utilization LED's

Paul Stewart pauls at nexicom.net
Wed Sep 8 14:19:08 EDT 2004

Hi there..

According to the Cisco docs, the LED's on the front of a 2924XL switch
will indicate overall switch bandwidth consumption.  The docs say ports
9-12 on a 12 port switch show consumption.

So, on a 24 port unit I"m presuming that the last ports on the far right
indicate the same thing?

We have a 2924 right now that is sitting around 40% CPU (which I see on
all our 2924's) and the UTL button on the front shows ports 1-17 lit
green and then port 18 going red.  Am I safe to assume that this is a
warning we are pushing the switch too hard??  The whole switch is only
doing 30-40 Mb/s of traffic with about 20 VLAN's trunked through it??

This stems back to a packet loss issue we are seeing on a BGP link and
this switch happens to join that VLAN and trunk it to a remote location
so we were looking into the switch to see if anything was wrong.

Any insight is appreciated

Paul