[c-nsp] 802.3ad load distribution

Brady brady at alluvium.com
Thu Sep 9 16:09:55 EDT 2004

Hi,

>From an earlier post regarding etherchannel, which said:

 The answer is that you only get even distribution if you the # of
 channels in the bundle is 2^n (n=1,2,3). Otherwise distribution might
 look like

 For 3 port channel the load balancing would be 3:3:2
 For 5 port channel the load balancing would be 2:2:2:1:1
 For 6 port channel the load balancing would be 2:2:1:1:1:1
 For 7 port channel the load balancing would be 2:1:1:1:1:1:1

 This is due to the hash algorithm which gives a value between 0 and 7.

 Arnold

---
I understand there are many ways to influence the loadbalancing (src-mac,
dst-mac, src-ip, dst-ip, etc). But assuming the existing distribution is
even at 2 links, is this information accurate for LACP and PAgP? Or would
the results using LACP be significantly different? I'm wondering what type
of loadbalancing I should expect to see when adding a 3rd link to the
bundle. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Brady