[c-nsp] OT: Network Performance Testing

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Fri Sep 10 06:18:32 EDT 2004

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:

> Does anyone know of decent open source network performance testing
> software ?
>
> e.g. something that can do some of the things done by the hardware
> boxes like "spirent smartbits", Fluke, ...
>
> So I'm looking for a package that can generate (pre-defined) packets
> on one interface,
> and inspect them for errors on a second interface. Extra's would be
> routing protocols & stuff, so that would be a "nice to have".

You may be able to build one with the Click Modular Router Project
(http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/click/), but I haven't tried this beyond some
lunch-time browsing of the docs.  Looks quite promising though.

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
                                            f: +44 20 7863 5876