[c-nsp] Opnet versus other simulation tools

Ed Johnson edjohnsonthird at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 07:23:06 EDT 2004

Hello.  We use Opnet internally to do capacity planning and network design.
We felt it was very accurate in terms of modeling our network regardless of
the vendor (cisco, nortel etc).  We did some validations independently, and
the results proved very accurate.

Its ability to import Cisco configs automatically was very helpful.  That
saved us a lot of time and effort.

Before we bought it, we asked around too.  By far, Opnet was the most
popular.  Also, our experience has been that their support is good too.
Support with modeling products is very important.  Tools like NS2 do not
offer support because it is a freeware.

I know that other tools exist out there.  Some mentioned Wandl and other
ones, too.  I didn't test those myself, but I heard that they are decent.
Opnet appeared to be the industry standard in this area when we looked
around.

Hope this helps.

Ed J.

Yasser Aly <yasser.aly at noorgroup.net> wrote:
Hello,

My company is looking for a simulation tool that can be used for
Simulation our real network, do traffic analysis with, capacity planning,
network design, and finally validate new designed products with traffic flow
and studying network behavior.

Initial search leads to Opnet but I would like to hear from your
experience - of those who got the chance to use the software -, and also how
about other alternative software. Is Infovista doing the same ? Which one of
them is better and do you have other suggestions ?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Regards,
Yasser