[c-nsp] GRE Tunnels and vrfs

Mihai CHELARU kefren at netbastards.org
Sun Sep 12 02:51:25 EDT 2004

Gert Doering wrote:

>>Question 2: Why is this setup working after I disable CEF ?
>>

>How exactly is this "not working" with CEF?

tcpdump shows that nothing is routed through this tunnel so packets are
just black-holed. I checked the routes in RIB and they appear to be OK.
A simple 'no ip cef' solves it. I think I'll update IOS these days and
see how it does ;/

>There are lots of funny bugs in GRE tunneling with CEF regarding TTL
>decrementation (TTL not being decrement -> router not visible in
>traceroute, and worse, if you have a loop, the packet will loop forever,
>burning CPU like mad).

Yes, I saw this too on other tunnels that I use but it's not so disturbing.