[c-nsp] Inter-working Ethernet and ATM/Frame

Alastair Johnson alastair.johnson at maxnet.co.nz
Mon Sep 13 23:30:33 EDT 2004

Hi,

I've been presented with a customer from our sales department who
essentially wants us to receive an ATM PVC on one of our telco-facing
ATM UNIs, and to pass it to them in their colocated cabinet as a
dot1q VLAN.

We use cisco LS1010s to face our telcos, and a mix of 7500s and
7200s for routing, and cat 4006s for switching.

Doing some digging, it would appear I have a few options:

1) Use an ARM-II on the LS1010 with a FE blade and do bridging
onto a dot1q VLAN

2) Use an ATM module in one of the Cat4006s to the LS1010

3) Use the L2 switching in 12.0(27)S on one of the 7500s (this
is the least preferential option)

4) Use an E1 frame relay port in an LS1010 and give the customer
a frame port instead,

or 5) use a 2924M with a WS-X2961-XL ATM card.

It would seem, though that option 5 would not work as it would
be doing raw RFC1483, and the other end of the ATM circuit in
telco-land would be receiving Ethernet frames, which would require
them to run some sort of BVI or RFC1483 bridging which apparently
is not an option.

So: what's the best way to give the customer a dot1q VLAN on this
side, which is L2 switched to ATM so the far end can receive it
as an ATM without having to use RBE/BPVC/BVI?

any suggestions?

thanks,

aj

--
Network Operations		||	noc. +64.9.915.1825
Maxnet				||	cell. +64.21.639.706