[c-nsp] RE: Interesting iBGP problem

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Tue Sep 14 11:22:43 EDT 2004

Kevin,
"no synchronization" needs to be configured in order to
remove BGP's IGP route existence dependency, you have
it configured on your other routers.  You probably also
want "no auto-summary" (and a few other things, but..).

As for the other issue, it indeed appears to be an
issue with the one minute BGP Scanner process finding
that the BGP NEXT_HOP for the concerned prefixes is not
being reachable.  I'd definitely advise against redistributing
external prefixes into your IGP.  Setting "next-hop-self"
on the iBGP sessions between Border1 and Border2 is the
easy fix, though there are other reasons why you may
want the next hops reachable anyways (perhaps via BGP
injection or the like).

-danny