[c-nsp] accounting/cache/cache flow/cef

Hank Nussbacher hank at mail.iucc.ac.il
Tue Sep 14 12:41:10 EDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 07:44:37PM +0530, Amol Sapkal wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I have been following this cef thing for long, and after looking out
> > at the following command outputs, I am sort of lost:
> >
> > sh ip accounting
>
> Old way of doing packet accounting.  Not recommended today.
>
> > sh ip cef
>
> Just shows the leaf of the mtrie that corresponds to some route
> in the routing table.
>
> > sh ip cache
>
> That shows the output of the old fastswitching cache.
> If you have CEF on your 'sh ip cache' should really be
> empty.
>
> > sh ip cache flow
>
> Shows the netflow cache which is exported to some form
> of netflow collector if you  have it configured to export.
> This is the recommended way to do packet accounting.
>

> > Assuming that I have enabled:
> > 1.cef globally
> > 2.ip route cache flow, on outgoing interfaces to my peer
>
> ip route-cache flow is only inbound flow on an interface
> unless you have some sort of egress netflow support.
>
> > 3.ip accounting output-packets, on outgoing interfaces to my peer
>
> ip accounting is the old way of doing packet accounting.
> We don't recommend using it.  The way to monitor traffic
> flows accurately is via netflow.
>
> You can put the netflow on all interfaces and then sort
> by egress interface to get cumulative egress packet counters.

And now to confuse you even more try the global command (7200, 7500,
12000):
ip cef accounting non-recursive
which will put you into the world of tmstats.  For more info see:
<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1834/products_feature_guide09186a0080080593.html>
This basically is an IOS feature that enables an administrator to capture
and analyze traffic data entering a backbone that is running BGP.
The command to see the numbers is the non-intuitive:
more system:/vfiles/tmstats_ascii
for per prefix octet counts.

Good luck,
-Hank