[c-nsp] Suspicious packets isp PoS int.

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Sep 15 05:01:44 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 12:45:30PM +0200, Karim Adel wrote:
> Maybe i should see some SNMP from my provider, but why random sourced
> ICMPs (check the following) :

Chances are high that this is just the random background noise - Nachi
worms pinging around, for example.

The amount of garbage traffic hitting our routers each day is amazing.
It's not overly much ICMP, but a high amount of TCP/135, TCP/445, and so
on...

(To state the obvious: there are infrastructure ACLs in place, and we have
started to roll out control-plane rate limiting, but still, this is not
the way it should be - damn virus infected windows machines :-( )

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de