[c-nsp] A Cisco question...

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Sep 15 11:32:06 EDT 2004

hi,

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:09:40AM -0400, Richard Golodner wrote:
> 512k link. I thought that this information was stored in NVRAM in the start
> up config, but I may be wrong. This is kind of scary to me as it would be
> very hard for me if we were to loose the router configs after UPS's die.

The "normal" thing is that the router saves everything into NVRAM and
comes up fine after a power outage.

There have been tons of IOS bugs in the past, though, where some parts
of the config didn't end up in NVRAM (or were saved in a way that
could not be parsed at starup).  Which IOS version is on that box?

You can look at the saved config with "show startup-config" - and if
the stuff isn't there after a "write", you need to have a talk with your
favourite Cisco representative...

(Of course it *could* be a hardware problem, but those usually don't
manifest in missing parts of the configuration).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de