[c-nsp] cef load-sharing per-packet bizzare behavior

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Wed Sep 15 14:23:09 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> Does the downstream routers show the same unequal
> load inbound?

Yes. The customer was the first to notice it. The same unequal load is
seen from the CPE as from this end.

> Is that the only prefix being forwarded over
> the links?

Yes, absolutely. One of the first things I checked. All of the routes are
announced to me via BGP, and I've got dual static routes to the address I
peer with. This has been verified 100% in the cef table. (sh ip cef | incl
<interface>)

One more tidbit to add. When I shut one interface, the bulk of the load
shifts to the other interface (and stays there), and vice versa.

So, for instance, if I shut s5/1/0, only s5/1/1 gets used. The moment I
'no shut' it, s5/1/1 has about 2/3rds of the traffic and s5/1/0 gets about
1/3rd of the traffic (this is measured 10 minutes after bringing back up
the interface). If I then go and shut s5/1/1, when I 'no shut' it, the
2/3rds of the traffic moves to and stays on s5/1/0.

So, in essence, whichever interface has been up longer bares the bulk of
the traffic.

Thanks for any advice,
Andy

---