[c-nsp] NPE-400 vs. NSE-1 for ATM-DSL aggregation

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Thu Sep 16 14:04:03 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Jay Hennigan wrote:

> We're running a 7206VXR with NPE-300 for DSL aggregation on an ATM DS-3
> and are seeing CPU creeping up.  I'm considering the NPE-400 or the NSE-1
> as a replacement.  The NSE-1 is end-of-sale but the literature implies
> that it it tailored for this type of service.  On the other hand, the
> NPE-400 is still current manufacture, has a faster processor, and takes
> more RAM, and the PXF code may not be well supported by future IOS.
>
> Any suggestions on which would be the better replacement engine in this
> scenario?  Yes, I know about the 1G, but OSI layer 8 (the financial layer)
> is having compatibility issues with that solution.

Jay,

You might consider just switching to Redback for your DSL aggregation.
The SMS series are built specifically to terminate a ton of PPPoE
sessions.

We use one, and are very happy with it. From a box with 250 currently
active users (SMS-1800):

CPU Utilization for 5 seconds: 2%   1 Minute: 1%   5 Minutes: 0%

We went redback from the start with DSL, after hearing several direct
accounts of colleagues switching from cisco to redback for DSL agg.

I'm fairly certain this will be much more pallatable on L8 as well. ;)

Free up the VXR to route packets. Let a PPPoE box do the PPPoE.

Andy

---
Andy Dills
Xecunet, Inc.