[c-nsp] The network went down!

Alexandra Alvarado aaaa at telconet.net
Thu Sep 16 19:40:08 EDT 2004

Hello,

Since 2 weeks ago I configured MSTP in the network that I manage, all was success, when a link fails, the backup link is activated
automatically in 1 second.

I have 9 redundant links approximately, in around 50 cisco switches catalyst 3550, all of them are part of one region.

Today I try to activate a new redundant link and all the network went down, the 90% of the switches stayed out, and the switches
that I could reach had in the log message "crash memory"; I supose that was a loop, but I have reviewed too many times and
I can't find any bad configuration. I had to reload all switches to get connectivity again and shut down the link that caused the problem.

Can anybody help to me giving some tips about it.

Thanks

Alexandra Alvarado