[c-nsp] NPE-400 vs. NSE-1 for ATM-DSL aggregation

Charles Hardin chardin at centurytel.net
Fri Sep 17 11:15:44 EDT 2004

Hello Jay,

We have both Cisco and Redback in our Network terminating several thousands
of users currently. Both are good boxes! However, the Cisco works best for
us when the configuration is tailored specifically to B-RAS functionality.
If you want to stick with Cisco, I would recommend going with the NPE-G1
platform with a full gig of memory. This platform is running well in our
Network currently and terminating upwards of 6500 to 7000 PPPoE sessions
while running at around 30 - 35% CPU in one of our POPs. The specs list 16k
as max session capacity but I don't know if it will ever make that mark
before CPU bites us. We're also running several NPE-400's with 512mb ram in
some of our smaller remote POPs quite successfully and terminating around
1500 to 2000 sessions. CPU is running around 10% on these boxes. The max
session limit on these boxes are listed at 8k sessions.

Question, what is causing the high CPU creep? We specifically had to work
through some configuration issues with how OSPF was setup on our Cisco
B-RAS in order to get our CPU under control and down to acceptable
operating levels.

Good Luck,
Charles