[c-nsp] NTP Server

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Sun Sep 19 13:08:08 EDT 2004

> There was a project (http://www.pool.ntp.org) created with David Mills to
> address the resource consumption on timeservers. Adrian von Bidder thoughts
> were to use DNS round robin to spread the load over many network time
> servers.  This project coincides with David Mills the author of NTP
> (http://www.ntp.org).

The performance of the different NTP servers and the networks that
connect them vary a lot. The DNS round_robin is only used at startup,
as ntpd makes the dns lookup at boot, and depending on your luch the
constallation of servers you end up vill vary in performance.

Some of the ntp servers that have the best clocks, have the worst
networks connecting them to the Internet.

Network assymetry gives you a static time offset, but it might appear
to NTP as the best clock.

Some clocks are very popular, tic/tock at USNO has 3000+
querrys/second.

>From an Internet scaling perspective the problem is simular to
root-dns servers and other shared resources.

I have no god answers, I just wanted to offer a set of time sources
for the best of Internet users.

-P