[c-nsp] What is wrong with this config? (nat load sharing)

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Tue Sep 21 20:05:33 EDT 2004

On Sep 21, 2004, at 6:55 PM, Bruce Pinsky wrote:

> Look in the archives for the complete discussion of switching paths and
> load sharing or contact me privately and I'll forward his post to you.

Bruce,

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.  I was not aware that the
CEF src/dst coin toss was
deterministic, thats very good for this setup.

> | ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0
> | ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial1.1
> | ip route 207.254.192.0 255.255.224.0 Serial0
> | !
>

> Pointing to interfaces is generally discouraged since it causes the
> router
> to want to ARP.  You should point at next hop IP addresses.

I agree, but on non-broadcast, point to point interface, there is no
arp done, since their is only one path for the packet to take, what
goes in one end, must come out the other.  The reason we next-hop to
interfaces, is so that we can move the customer around without having
to access their router.  Once again, I don't believe setting next-hop
to a PtP serial interface causes the arp storm you speak of, but please
correct me if I am wrong.  I have seen people next-hop to e0 and the
like on small, memory starved routers, and its not pretty.

> - --
> =========
> bep

Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036, CISSP