[c-nsp] CEF wrong next hop

Tim Devries tdevries at northrock.bm
Wed Sep 22 16:02:49 EDT 2004

In 12.3(7)T1 we've noticed a problem running CEF whereby
certain routes show the incorrect next hop (i.e. different from the routing
table) and result in routing loops.  According to this document
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk831/technologies_tech_note09186a008
00cdf2e.shtml) this could occur if the routes were discovered via proxy arp
on the interface.  This is not the situation in our case, though the
_results_ are quite similar.

This bug:
http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCee74177&cco_
product=IOS&fset=CEF/DCEF/FIB&swver=12.3&keyw=&target=7&train=T1

is actually quite similar compared to what we are seeing, however unlike
that bug, when we kill CEF on our router the routing then returns to normal
(next hop learned via BGP), and all is well in the universe.  I am wondering
if anyone else has seen the same or similar bug on the T train, as we also
have the same issue with another route on a router running version
12.2(17a).

I'm assuming for the moment that it is a bug, simply because the behaviour
seems strange, and the bug is listed as not reproducible, and it is so very
close to our situation.   As well, I do not think it is normal for CEF to
have differing next hops from the entries in the routing table.

Any advice would be appreciated, even if it is just to confirm that this is
a bug.

Thanks,

Tim Devries