[c-nsp] Upgrading 7513 - WAS: Troubleshooting Lag between GigE interfaces

Paul Stewart pauls at nexicom.net
Fri Sep 24 11:27:28 EDT 2004

Thanks to Rodney and everyone for their help... now, onto upgrade
discussion..:)

The FSIP you are seeing will be out of service in the next month or so.
We are upgrading the serial based customers (T1) to fiber/wireless
solutions thankfully.  If not, we'll move the T1's off to 3640's and
away from the 7513.

I'm trying to make sure I have an "upgrade" plan of attack so here's
some questions:

When I try to enable dCef I get memory errors from slot 8 and 9 which
are GEIP controllers.  Should I upgrade to GEIP+ ?  What's the
difference between the plus and non-plus version?  Is there any memory
upgrades that can be done to our existing GEIP (32 meg)?

The RSP's are RSP4's .... should I look at moving up the CPU level
somewhat (better safe than sorry)?

Finally, the VIP's are VIP2-50... this should probably be upgraded as
well?

Sorry for the generic questions but I'm trying to figure out if we're
just going to gut the insides of the  7513 are we better to upgrade or
look at a new router?

Thanks for any input..;)  I can spend months working with 7500's and
then not touch one for 6 months so sometimes forget all the components
in them...

Paul