[c-nsp] High load problem on 7206 vxr

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sun Sep 26 02:23:10 EDT 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Mustafa N. Deeb wrote:

> i have a VXR used to terminate ADSL , (was running 12.1.19 )
> i upgraded the IOS to 12.1.23E1 to include PPTP support
>

> beofre , i used to terminate 200 adsl users with CPU load not more
> than 34% , now , it is hitting the roof
> with the same number of users!!
>
> no errors in the logs at all
>
> Any ideas where the problem could be ?

How much RAM, what processing engine?  What does "sho proc cpu" say are
the biggest hogs?  We're terminating over 1000 adsl PVCs on a 7206 VXR,
NPE 300, 256M RAM.  Running 12.3.10 just upgraded from 12.2T.  CPU is
at about 60% peak hour, still a bit high for my liking.  Will probably
go with a G1 NPE soon.  Biggest hogs are IP input and IP SNMP (when MRTG
snarfs all of those counters...)

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/