[c-nsp] 3560 routed interface with sub-interface?

Steve Francis sfrancis at fastclick.com
Sun Sep 26 18:35:24 EDT 2004

Is it possible on a catalyst switch (specifically 3560, 3550 or 2970),
with or without EMI software, to have a routed interface with
sub-interfaces on different vlans?

Basically I am trying to limit my spanning tree domain between two
switch intallations.
I want to have some vlan's from one switch network  connect to the other
switch network, but only via routed ports, so there is no layer 2 funkiness.

I'd rather not dedicate one switch port and convert it to a routed port
for each vlan - it'd be nice if I could do subinterfaces on the routed
port, but I can't seem to find the commands to do it.

Is it possible?
Or is there another way to connect the two switch networks by one port
carrying several vlans, and not have any spanning tree interactions?  (I
also want to connect there vlans to 2 different switches in the second
switch network, for redundancy. They'll tell each other about what works
via OSPF.)
Having a trunk link and a lot of limits on what vlans can go over what
trunks would probably also work, but seems mroe dangerous and error prone.
TIA