[c-nsp] Dynamic remotes connecting to VPN 3005. Is it possible?

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Mon Sep 27 02:52:17 EDT 2004

In general it's easy possible, but depends on what remotes you have
(VPN3002,IOS,PIX,other?)

The first thing to consider is using certificates, otherwise, depending
on your devices you run into the problems with PSK you mentioned..
Preshared keys are insecure and a bad idea in general, not only
regarding the "dynamic IP" issue.
There was an advisory not so long ago regarding the Groupname/Password
issue caused by weakness of PSK. This only acknowledged what anybody
expected before: VPN3000-stuff with PSK is as vulnerable as PSK is.
Cisco now introduced some Mutual-IKE stuff which is again only a
workaround - using certs is the solution.
But in general on the VPN 3000 it should be possible to seperate peers
even with PSK (Groupname/Password) worst case creating 20 Groups,
although I've never tried - but regarding security it leads to the same
problems.

Michael