[c-nsp] PA-2FE-TX speed

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Mon Sep 27 19:02:17 EDT 2004

> Is there any way I can set the speed of the port to run at 10Mbps?
> There isn't any speed command there and I'm wondering if
> auto-negotiation is the only way to get this card to run at 10Mbps.

It is 100 Mb/s only. We have a 10 Mb/s connection to a peer in one of our
data centers and our solution was to get a little 2-port switch to do the
rate conversion. Allied Telesyn makes a decent little 2-port 10/100 switch
that we used, that can be set with dip switches to 10 or 100 Mb/s and
half/full duplex (we have found that Cisco equipment auto-negotiation
sometimes causes problems that manifest themselves as lots of lost packets
-- even between a cisco router and a cisco switch!). The only thing I
don't like about the switch is that it needs an external power supply
which is a pain in a rack.

There are 4 and 8 port 10 Mb/s-only port adapters available. I think they
are the PA-4E and PA-8E but I'm not sure if I'm remembering those part
numbers correctly.

     -Bill