[c-nsp] Sinkhole Routing

Amol Sapkal amolsapkal at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 09:34:41 EDT 2004

Let me explain you guys my current setup.

LAN--------\
                \                                                           ___
                  \
   /        \ exit int
DMZ-------- |FIREWALL|---|SWITCH|---|ROUTER 7513|----- UPSTREAM ROUTER
                  /                          /
  \ ____ / exit int
                /                          /
DMZ-------/                         LAN2

Now, I got an access-list (which is pretty long) that blocks most of
the well known attack ports. But each time I see an IP causing a
flood, I need to edit the access-list and keep it getting longer.

IMHO, even if I have an access-list in place, my core router (7513) is
still going to process the attack packets. I was looking at something
like this:
1. Deploying a linux based system somewhere on the switch (or between
the swithc and the router) which can act like an IPS.
2. Deploy a low-end 2600 on the switch to actually protect the traffic inflow.

Is there any way I can let the core router switch the spurious traffic
and still be able to route it to a box or 2600 (a sinkhole) residing
on the switch?

I am wary of keeping my access-list growing and there seems to be
problem in implementing service policies on my exit interfaces.

Regds,
Amol