[c-nsp] QoS support on Catalyst 6503

Jon Allen Boone ipmonger at delamancha.org
Wed Sep 29 19:42:36 EDT 2004

Folks,

   I have some basic questions regarding QoS implementation on a Cisco
6503.

   My experience with policing on the 6509 from the 1999-2002 period was
that the policing wasn't as strict as what you'd expect from CAR
(typically a few extra Mbps of traffic "leaked" througH).  Cisco
informed me that this was due to the way that the equipment was
implemented -- i.e. it didn't have enough guts to police at a faster
rate, so there was a basic limit to what it could do.

   I have no experience with the 6503 - is it a different implementation
than the 6509?  Does it's QoS suck as much as the 6509s did then?  Is
it better now?  What about prioritization and queueing?

--jon