[c-nsp] Cisco 3640 Maximum performance

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Thu Sep 30 11:02:27 EDT 2004

Nothing personal, but you're insane. The 3640 has a hard enough time
moving 50 megabits/sec in the so-called 'real-world', even with CEF. I
recall using a 3640 with a FE and a NM-HSSI to terminate a Verizon DS3
Frame Relay port with a few hundred PVCs we once had. When the port would
see anything near 30 to 40 mb/s, CPU would creep up into that threshold of
'DANGER WILL ROBINSON' -- about 60%.