[c-nsp] 7204 VXR, NPE-225, PA-2T3, output queue drops

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Sep 30 13:37:24 EDT 2004

While no always the case most of the time it's bursty
traffic that causes this and you will never see it
in any 'sh int' output.

Here is one thing that I have used to prove if
it's bursting.

put on CAR or a service-policy with policing and
for the conform action and exceed action set it
to transmit.

Then do 'sh interface blah rate' or 'sh policy-map
interface blah' and see if you are seeing any packets
exceed the rate you configure.  Make sure you set the
burst down as low as you can.

The granularity for rate sampling like this is like 25 msec
so you can see burst much easier if that's really what
is happening.

Rodney