[c-nsp] Serial Switch

Roy garlic at garlic.com
Wed Apr 6 01:22:55 EDT 2005

Jay Hennigan wrote:

>I realize thisis a Cisco list, but another possibility is the Livingston
>Portmaster 2 series of terminal servers.  These were made in 10 and 30
>port flavors, and are almost bulletproof.  Probably easier to find on the
>secondary market than the 2511 Cisco kit that is popular with those who
>are preparing for CCIE lab tests.  The Livingston Portmasters have full-
>size DB-25 connectors for RS-232 connections.  Unless you're lucky enough
>to find Cisco term servers with the RJ option, the Cisco cables can be
>pricey.
>
>We use the Livingston gear for this, have owned some of it from new when
>we had stacks of 14.4 modems connected to it for dialup ISP service.

Portmasters are wonderful for this.  I use Laplink cables with a DB-25
gender mender on the portmaster end for the db-9/db-25 routers.  The
only "con" to the box is that you are stuck with telnet rather than SSH.

If you are looking at new equipment, check out Cyclades.
http://www.cyclades.com/products/2/ts_series