[c-nsp] New Cisco Switch?

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Wed Apr 6 17:00:13 EDT 2005

>>> Jeff Kell <jeff-kell at utc.edu> 4/6/05 2:44:50 PM >>>
>John Neiberger wrote:
>> Yeah, pretty much. :)  The latest IOS you can get for those is
>> 12.0(5)WC11. And since they're refurbished you have to get them
>> inspected, at a hefty cost, before you can get SmartNET contracts
on
>> them.
>
>To heck with SmartNET, we only pay for that for 4500s and up.  If you

>have any significant installed base, just add up how much smartnet
will
>cost you for a year, divide that by how many more switches you could
>buy, and that's how many you can blow up a year :-)  You can save on
>recertification and buy from third parties.

That's certainly one approach, but then what do you do if you need to
do a software upgrade on all of them? Buy new licenses for them all? If
you do it once, it's cheaper than SmartNet, but if it becomes a regular
occurrence then it can get to be more expensive than service contracts.
That's the beauty of the HP offering: free software upgrades, lifetime
hardware warranty, and free support. That's tough to beat.

John