[c-nsp] Using older VIP2's in non-demanding apps

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Wed Apr 6 18:36:12 EDT 2005

We have VIP2-50's doing lots of stuff.

'lots of stuff' to us means DS3, T1 aggregation, ATM and FRASI aggregation
(via PA-A3), some lt2p, etc.

The 7500 is still a very venerable platform, in the sub 100 mb/s range.

Considering the price of RAM these days, though, don't bother not putting
RAM in. Load the (presumably) RSP4 to 256, and the VIP2-50's to 128 megs.
It can still swallow a full table without a problem, and with the new BGP
in 12.0S, is supposedly much better. I've not played with this.

Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex at nac.net, latency, Al Reuben
Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net