[c-nsp] Editing the startup config on the fly

Nigel nigelc at iexec.com.au
Thu Apr 7 00:49:40 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I was just wondering if there is anyway (apart from network services - tftp,
ftp etc...) of changing the startup config on the fly, or will there be
provision for this in the future.

If I change the commands to the running config, access to the box is
completely lost, and for some reason it removes vital parts of the config,
so a reload is the only option, and that puts me back at step one. However
if i could do something like:

vi nvram:startup-config

or if access to nvram is to be completely protected, copy the running config
to flash, vi the file from flash and use the
boot config command to boot up the modified file (i'm guessing thats what
the boot config command is for - haven't needed it yet).

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

Nigel
Network Engineer