[c-nsp] Editing the startup config on the fly

Nigel nigelc at iexec.com.au
Thu Apr 7 02:59:23 EDT 2005

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I'll elaborate a little on what I'm trying to achieve, and why I'm after an
on the fly edit.

I'm doing some testing on bonded services with dsl in an 1841 with 2 wics.

Initially the boxes were deployed with one Dialer interface bound to the two
wics...

interface ATM0/0/0
 description Test bonded
 no ip address
 load-interval 30
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
 dsl operating-mode itu-dmt
!
interface ATM0/0/0.3 point-to-point
 pvc 8/35
  ubr 512
  encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
  dialer pool-member 3
 !
!
interface ATM0/1/0
 description Test bonded
 no ip address
 load-interval 30
 no atm ilmi-keepalive
 dsl operating-mode itu-dmt
!
interface ATM0/1/0.3 point-to-point
 pvc 8/35
  ubr 512
  encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
  dialer pool-member 3
 !
!
interface Dialer3
 description Dialer test network
 bandwidth 512
 ip address negotiated
 encapsulation ppp
 load-interval 30
 dialer pool 3
 dialer-group 1
 ppp authentication chap callin
 ppp chap hostname
 ppp chap password

However, after testing, the better deployment appears to use 2 Dialer
interfaces, and as such replace:

dialer pool-member 3 from one of the atm pvcs and place it in pool 4 with
dialer pool-member 4.

Then just create Dialer 4 and associate it with dialer pool 4.

That's all well and good, except, if im on the router and under either of
the the atm pvcs type:

no dialer pool-member 3
dialer pool-member 4

it removes the dialer pool-member 3 config line from the other atm interface
as well. Additionally the new line entered (dialer pool-member 4) does not
appear where it was put (confirmed from console access). From the moment the
command is entered all conectivity is lost.

I know I can tftp the start config to the box, but the boxes that im looking
at doing this to are in vrfs and while it can be done, I was hoping there
was some way of editing the startup config, so upon reload, it would all be
fine.

Cheers,
Nigel