[c-nsp] Bandwidth limitation for IPSec

BoXeR piestaga at aster.pl
Wed Apr 13 19:57:09 EDT 2005

hi,

some time ago I posted the mail bellow where I was looking for a
method to limit a bandwidth for users who connects to VPN network
using Cisco VPN Client.
Since then, I have investigated, that for today Cisco has no dedicated
solution for that.
There is a possibility to apply a qos-group to crypto isakmp prolile,
but the policy created that way is applied only for outgoing traffic
(I mean from VPN through IPSec tunnel to remote user).
What I need is exactly opposite direction.

So, I am thinking over the following scenario, and I would like to ask
you to tell me what is wrong, because except the face that probably
the idea is OK, the method is not working. :-)

All remote users are establishing the ipsec tunnels between thsir PCs
and loopback interface on aggregator.
The tunnels before reaching the loopback has to go through aggregator
phisical interface which connect the aggregator with the Internet.

For tests I have created the class-map:

class-map match-all customer_a
 match access-group name customer_a

and policy-map:

policy-map customers
 class customer_a
  police rate 40000

and I have assigned service-policy input customers
to the Internet facing interface.

The access list should match all the traffic betwen all remote users
(ANY) to aggregator loopback.
I have checked all possilility, but could not created the
configuration that would work.
Finaly I checked the ACL to mach any any statement (bothe IP and ESP)

ip access-list extended customer_a
  permit ip any any
  permit esp any any

No results.

What I see as an output of sh policy-map interface is that the traffic
is mached by defult class-map.

I am not an qos configuration aware

Could you please take a look, what can be the reason of that.
Maybe the reason is that on the same interface exists crypto-map and
service-policy. I have not find such example on CCO, so it is hard to
say, is such scenario possible or not.

Thanks in advance
Sebastian