[c-nsp] Block traffic between users in the same vlan

Matt Buford matt at overloaded.net
Thu Apr 14 00:59:38 EDT 2005

Just to eliminate confusion, private VLANs and PSPF will result in machines
on the same subnet being unable to communicate.  It does not force traffic
through the router - it blocks all traffic except that to the router, which
means ARPs between hosts go unanswered.

If you would like to have layer 3 communication between hosts on the same
subnet work across private VLANs (allowing you to use layer 3 filtering,
PBR, and whatever else you want) see the "local proxy arp" feature that can
be enabled with private vlans.  This works by enabling proxy arp for hosts
within the same subnet.  So, for example, when 10.0.0.10/24 arps for
10.0.0.11/24 private VLANs mean only the router sees this.  Local proxy arp
means the router responds with its own mac address.  A traceroute from
10.0.0.10 to 10.0.0.11 has 2 hops, with the router between the two hosts on
the same subnet.

In my case, I use this because it allows scaling of large layer 2 networks
with decent isolation between hosts.  It isn't quite as good as a VLAN per
customer, but it gives you most of the benefits without the hassle.

This is supported on 6500 with MSFC, however it seems they don't quite have
all the bugs worked out yet.  I currently have a case open about ARPs
becoming broken when the ARP timeout hits.  I've temporarily worked around
the problem by using an infinite ARP timeout, as this bug does not seem to
be fixed in current releases.