[c-nsp] 805 Cisco Router TinyROM Enable Password Recovery

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Thu Apr 14 11:50:45 EDT 2005

On Saturday 09 April 2005 23:49, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Does that mean the problem is fixed or not?

Yes, problem was fixed!

> Oh don't be a goose.  Did you sign an NDA?  If not then they can't touch
> you.

Actually spoke to TAC and they say it's fine, so, here is the fix (really glad
to put this up):

1. Boot router as normal and break into ROMMON mode.

2. You will be dropped into the 'boot>' prompt, meaning a TinyROM password has
   been set.

3. You will need to enter the global password 'em gubed'. It's 'debug me'
   spelt backwards. You need to do this in debug mode, like so:

	boot> enable debug
	password: em gubed
	boot> [DANGER] passwd
	new:
	again:
	boot> [DANGER] enable
	boot#

You can then either type 'boot' to boot the installed IOS from flash, or
restart and re-break into ROMMON.

Mark.