[c-nsp] OIR and the 7513

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Apr 14 15:00:30 EDT 2005

> Actually, it is.  I've run into OIR failures where the router said
> something like "improper insertion" and seriously just had to have the
> remote hands remove and reseat the VIP until they inserted it "properly"
> and made the router happy.
>> I think I have it down now... if you put it in too fast or too slow, the
>> router will reload.  It's all in the wrist.

A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the
power off and on.  Knight, seeing what the student was doing,
spoke sternly: "You can not fix a machine by just power-cycling
it with no understanding of what is going wrong."  Knight turned
the machine off and on.  The machine worked.
-- Danny Hillis