[c-nsp] Inter ISP routing question

Roy garlic at garlic.com
Sat Apr 16 15:42:45 EDT 2005

Chris Smith wrote:

>Here's the setup:
>
>T-1 connection to ISP A, /24 from ISP A
>
>2xT-1 connection to ISP B
>
>If I point the default route to ISP B, most networks
>appear to stop respondiing.  I guess that I'm tripping
>over some anti-spoofing configurations.  Is there a
>way to make this work without going BGP?
>
>--Chris

You are a victim of a security feature called RPF.  Basically you can
not send a packet out a path that is does not have a reverse path back
to that IP address over the same interface.

Some info is on the web page
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1820/products_feature_guide09186a00800f489a.html

You can make it work by having provider B add static routing table
entries for the IP space.  This isn't recommended since you will now
have inconsistent AS numbers on your routes and that may introduce more
problems.  The correct answer is to add BGP to keep all the routes
consistent.

Roy