[c-nsp] DHCP Lease Query

Ong Beng Hui ongbh at ispworkshop.com
Mon Apr 18 04:53:03 EDT 2005

> Using DHCP server if we keep lease period as "forever" and if we
> disable or deactivate the  lease then will dhcp server assign that
> lease to device or not ????
>
> In my DHCP server i m facing problem with this.
> I have deactivate the lease and lease period is "forever" but still
> DHCP server allocate that lease to mac which is reserved for that mac
> address.

DHCP server can only give (lease) IP to the client.
DHCP server cannot get back IP from client.

lease query check the DHCP server if that lease is still active.

So, you give an IP to a client "forever", you can't take it
back (disable or deactivate), until, the client disappear (how
you can tell?) or... manually shut off the client.