[c-nsp] Bridge group woes and IRB

Mark Borchers mborchers at igillc.com
Wed Apr 20 10:25:35 EDT 2005

David,
Bridging your two vlans together is effectively the same as
putting both switches and the router all in the same vlan.
If you're not willing to do that, then you probably don't
want to bridge either, which basically turns the router into
a layer 2 device within the scope of the bridged domains.

Perhaps the way to get the redundancy you are looking for
is to create vlans x and y on both of your switches.  If you
bridge the respective vlans using BVIx and BVIy, IRB will sort
out your traffic as you expect it to.