[c-nsp] DS3 cabling question

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Thu Apr 21 10:34:06 EDT 2005

On Thursday, April 21, 2005, 7:12:03 AM, Rik Koenig wrote:
> I have to cable up a lab to run DS3 between routers. Specifically, there
> will be cable runs of 40-55 feet, between a patch panel and PA-2T3s and
> PA-T3s on 7500s, 6-port DS3 on a 12000, and a couple of Juniper M40s.

> The first part of all this is getting cable. I'm pretty new to DS3 and would
> like some assistance. I have seen some companies call for a run of 734/735
> cable, and I've seen used runs of RG179. Is there any difference between the
> types of cables for this application?

> Thanks
> ~Rik

734A is what we used for DS3 patching and 300 foot runs to our
telco hand off.

Cable type may not actually be too critical with the main
differences being jacket materials and attenuation per distance.
Fatter coaxes tend to have lower losses.   For the short runs
you'd be using the losses are probably insignificant.

Arguably more critical is to use true 75 Ohm BNCs to avoid
reflections in the cable.  We used nice Canare BNCs and tools.

Here's some additional info about the cable: it is AT&T 734A,
also known as Belden 1809A, Commscope 734C1 or 734S1 or
Avaya/Lucent commcode 105529044.  It's a 75 ohm coax used for DS3
(T-3) and DS4 data cabling.

Canare BCP-C4F connectors fit it with an insertion loss of 0.25
to 0.5 dB at 2.5 GHz.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan