[c-nsp] switching off MPLS penultimate pop hopping

Volodymyr Yakovenko vovik at dumpty.org
Thu Apr 21 15:28:46 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 07:50:19PM +0200, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:
>Volodymyr Yakovenko <> wrote on Thursday, April 21, 2005 7:37 PM:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>>  Is there any possibility to force particular Cisco PE router to
>>  perform the FIB lookup in addition to LFIB lookup during during
>>  packet forwarding from MPLS interface to CE?
>>
>>  As far I understand it means to disable 'MPLS penultimate pop
>> hopping'.
>
>enable "mpls ldp explicit-null" on the edge-LSR to advertise an
>explicit-null instead of the implicit-null/pop.
>
>Why do you want/need this? Usually folks only use it to provide QoS
>transparency/DS tunneling through an MPLS core..

I have multiply CE routers connected to PE over single subnet.
CEs are running IGP between each other, some CEs (core routers) also
advertise aggregate route. PE redistributes only aggregate route to MP-BGP.

Right now all label switched packets destinated to any of customer subnets
will be routed to CE core routers, ignoring more specific routes in PE FIB.

I would like to avoid such suboptimal routing on PE-CE edge and perform
FIB lookup on PE.

--
Regards,
Volodymyr.