[c-nsp] point to point dedicated t1 rtt ping times

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Apr 26 13:28:34 EDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Eric Kagan wrote:

> Sorry if Off-topic, but we have a customer with a dedicated PTP from Arizona
> to Illinois getting 60ms RTT ping times with Cisco 2800 at both ends.  Does
> anyone have any reference or baseline for me to check against ?  The are
> reporing latency and that 60ms is too high.

This this just start recently?

If you've ruled out saturation (CPU, memory, interface utilization,
etc) on the routers and traffic going across the circuit as issues, I'd
check with the telco to see if they re-groomed your circuit at some point.
Request the physical path routing for the circuit, or request a DLR.  If
they refuse, ask to speak to a supervisor.

I had a Worldcom circuit once from Pittsburgh to Erie, PA, that had 130ms
latency during our turnup/acceptance testing.  Ended up it went from
Pittsburgh to Chicago to Washington DC to Raleigh to Cleveland to Erie
:-)  They fixed it when I told them I wasn't going to accept the circuit
because it was way outside the terms of our SLA.

jms