[c-nsp] point to point dedicated t1 rtt ping times

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Tue Apr 26 20:57:49 EDT 2005

Eric Kagan wrote:

>Sorry if Off-topic, but we have a customer with a dedicated PTP from Arizona
>to Illinois getting 60ms RTT ping times with Cisco 2800 at both ends.  Does
>anyone have any reference or baseline for me to check against ?  The are
>reporing latency and that 60ms is too high.

I'll probably get flamed for further leading the topic astray...and am
clearly suffering from Googlephilia...

A quick gander at http://maps.google.com/?q=Phoenix,AZ+to+Chicago,IL
shows an optimal one-way road travel distance of 1913 miles. And
http://www.google.com/search?q=1913mi/m/c*1000*2 says that light would
travel that round trip in 20.5ms. So that's the *absolute* minimum
rtt--very presumptive, though.

Add in a few milliseconds for hdlc framing or ppp overhead on the full
ds1, and the rest is your carrier; either encapsulating or stalling the
frames in situ or backhauling them via Albuquerque, Calabasas,
Kalamazoo, Tipperary...

../C

--
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque.
  - Bugs Bunny